Wednesday 10 December 2008

On the Page course - Pilar Alessandra


I went to my first writing course on Saturday 29th November in London: On the Page with Pilar Alessandra.

I was a little nervous but more excited about going to the course. I have only just decided I am going to do this, so I didn't want to turn up and be the student who can't write because I think I am good at this and I didn't want to fall at the first hurdle.

Anyway the course was exactly the right one for me as 'On the Page' refers to getting those ideas out of your head and, you guessed it, on the page! 

The course was fantastic, not only because, thank god, I didn't suck but, Pilar gave us simple and easy steps that made the prospect of going on and writing seem easy. Also the group was put at ease by Pilar's approach to teaching so you felt safe sharing ideas and they were a great bunch of writers. I felt a little intimidated as everyone else was obviously used to calling themselves a writer whereas I feel like I can, could, will be one, but I'm only at the ideas stage!
However I have now been inspired by Pilar and with my resources at my finger tips I shall write all I need to get a calling card script and a writing agent. 

This being my first and only course I have nothing to compare it to but after talking with others on the course it seems it was a favorite for even the more seasoned course attendees. Here's some of their quotes:

"Must say that I've done many classes in my time but I've never met anybody who imparts quite so much really useful information in such a short space of time. Quite invigorating." Simon Rose

I thoroughly enjoyed the class on Saturday.  I must admit to being somewhat sceptical going in; I am not a fan of structural preachings (I threw McKee's book 'Story' so hard against my living room wall that it has become structurally integral to the building).  However, I was turned. " James Bicknell

You can find out lots about Pilar and the course online. I'd recommend it for anyone who really wants to start the process of putting the ideas you've had for ages to good use!

I consider this my step 2 in writing. Step 3 requires action!!!!

No comments: