Friday 30 January 2009

Italian odity: Keys, le chiave

Keys.
Well not as you know it, that's for sure. In England we're used to a modest key, and after meeting one key you've pretty much met them all, I know you can get some funky coloured ones now, but my point it they work the same: short, easy to handle, some would even say ergonomic! Well here in Italy The Key is something to behold!


I mean look at it! It's pretty hilarious really, because only the tip of that thing goes in the lock. And the excessively long neck leads to the, comparatively tiny, area where your forefinger and thumb are needed to apply the pressure necessary to turn the darn thing. Honestly I find it difficult opening doors here!

Andy waited by the door once, refusing to take over until 'I've learnt how to do it!'. But it's a simple matter of thumb strength and I have none! It's a lot like trying to open the milk bottle when instead of the cap turning as your hand moves, it grates through your skin, not budging an inch. It still peterbs me how grannies open those things! Actually, I forgot I did find out how: I bought this nifty devise that does it for you- life saver!

Perhaps it's that the more exclusive your apartment, the bigger the key? Maybe that's why ours is like, ENORMOUS!! No I don't think that's true. I could spread the rumour though?! Hmmm.

Anyway a little Italian lesson for you, Le chiave means: 'keys' in Italian & Ho le chiave enorme means: 'I've got massive keys' (in case any of you do. Nothing like mine though, I bet!!)!

But I guess it does go to show that, the key to anything in life may not take a familiar form, but it works all the same!

Ce Vediamo, Ciao x

No comments: