Wednesday 25 February 2009

writing competitions

Well while literally contemplating the inept self motivation I have and wondering if I'll ever get up to the 7 am alarm-clock to dive into writing, I received an email from Gordy Hoffman. Well, not personally for me, I signed up for a newsletter but still. In Gordy's post he speaks of how important writing competitions are. Now after having spoken with Andy questioning their use, (as it seems to me they buy your script for you entrance fee and then can do what they like with it afterwards!), Gordy had some well needed advice. 

Writing is a lonely business, in the real world at least. When you do get that fabulous idea you are obviously not alone but accompanied by the characters you build up and the world you are creating. which can be an amazing experience. My only finished short I did in one day!

Writing can be lonely and it is difficult, I find, to be your own boss. I tend to be the boss I had always wished for, I have tea breaks when I want, my lunch hours can be whole afternoons and if I need to pop out to do my weekly shop that's fine too! But it shouldn't be, if you are to get writing done, you need to be disciplined and that means being the boss you hate, the one that is always right and makes you feel guilty when you want to dash home to catch that spin class or the one who agrees you can make your important appointment but reminds you the work is still due in tomorrow!! 

OR......you can do what Gordy Hoffman suggests - enter writing competitions. Okay so you have to pay to enter and then the terms and conditions must read well enough you don't feel you are being shafted.  But it is a fabulous idea, there is your new boss.

He has terms and conditions that are clear, he wants the work in at a deadline, but you can hand it in at a later deadline but you'll pay for it. Simply he'll help you get things done. Now it is 5 days until the first BlueCat competition deadline. I go to Dubai to watch Andy play in the Sevens world cup in 6 days....so if I can write an 18 minute short in one day I can finish a feature length in 5, just have to decide if I'm going to go with the thriller or the drama?! hmmmmmm!

ash x

No comments: