Tuesday 19 January 2010

Stockholm 25th June 2009



Well our journey was taking us through Southern Sweeden to Stockholm. The views were spectacular and the country is frankly an outdoor adventure playground. Andy was in his element cooing about mountains and lakes and dappled light, as he loves to do. I slept quite a bit, it's funny how not driving can take it out of you! Although, I did drive the last couple of hours until we reached Stockholm. On the outskirts of the city and tantalisingly close to being able to park up and get out and stretch our legs after several hours cooped up, we discovered Nav girl's Achilles heel - tunnels.

Strangely enough in Sweeden you can change lanes, merge, bare left or right for all kinds of destinations inside a tunnel. Now I thought overtaking in tunnels was illegal in most countries, apparently not here! So we found ourselves sea-sawing in and out of tunnels until eventually, a little hot headed, we finally found our bearings and a parking lot.

So liberated from the car we strolled in the direction that seemed right (so wherever Andy started wondering off to). Of course we had to get a map, Andy likes to fell safe with a map in his hand, so to assess his surroundings and never be caught unaware. So we wondered round the old town which was quaint but sadly rather 'touristy'. We took a look at the parliament and walked along the river after having seen the nobel prize winner steps. I figured I'll be returning one day to collect my own prize so we didn't spend long there!! We then walked round the Dujgarden (It's phonetical spelling) and hired some bikes to cycle round the park. However I was a little bit disappointed with my bike. It was terribly difficult to get going. It was a back-pedaling-brake bike, so that means you can't swing your pedal round in order to push off. Have you tried pushing off without swinging your pedal round? Needless to say I had a shaky start, that never finished really! However, Djurgarden is irrefutably pretty.

Having just cheated death on two wheels, I felt like sitting on the water front in one of the numerous bars along the bank, as well as needing a wee! But would you believe it? Not one bar had space for us to sit and enjoy Stockholm. It was so depressing. I mean how dare the Sweeds come out and enjoy their own city on such a glorious day, so that us tourists, only here for one day, couldn't! If we put this into perspective: Paris and Geneva held music festivals for our coming, while Stockholm couldn't even sport us a seat outside! Poor show Stockholm, poor show!

And as you can imagine after traipsing up and down the river searching for a place to have a drink, my need for the toilet hadn't lessened. I have to say after my experience I would not recommend Stockholm to Pregnant women or anyone with a weak bladder as it was blumming near impossible to find a bog! We did finally succeed in a supermarket, only to be charged. I couldn't believe it, they had actual denied me of my God given rite to pee for the last hour and now they wanted my money for the privilege. Unbelievable, but when principles and a call of nature collide, obviously we used the toilets!

Despite this however we were very impressed with Stockholm and were left wanting more. So we hope we can visit again and this time drink less water before we arrive!


That evening we left for Waxholm camping ground. It was stunning. Although we arrived at nearly 9pm the light was as bright as in mid afternoon. Sweden's north has the lowest light hours after summer solstice and the sun rises at 2am! So we pitched up tent, met our neighbours (some big ass mosquitoes!), sprayed ourselves incessantly with Deet and settled in for a good nights sleep.

No comments: