Tuesday 19 January 2010

Waxholm & Uppsala 26th June 2009

We woke up early, the sun beaming into our tent. Andy went for his morning run and I did some Yoga and strength exercises. It was a gentle awakening to the day and after we had packed up camp, we headed to the beach! It was cute, small and public. Although it was busy we managed to score two great seats on the rocks looking over the water. After a bit of a sun bathe and a swim, that ended up really pissing off a seagull, it was time for us to pay up and head to Uppsala for Karin and Ori's wedding. Just as we did pay up we read the front page of a Swedish newspaper " Michael Jackson död". Now not to say I have any particular flare for languages but I was pretty sure that meant dead! Sadly I was right. We asked the helpful and ever so annoyingly perfectly fluent in English Sweeds, if in fact MJ had passed away and they confirmed our suspicions. It was a sad realisation and made me realise quite how unreal our lives had been the past weeks flitting from one place to the next!

It wasn't far to Uppsala. I slept most of the way, naturally, my trusty taxi driver was wide awake and on the ball. When we arrived at the hotel it couldn't have been more perfect, in the centre of town, nice space, and beds, soft beds! We bumped into Karin's family and got to say a hello to them all and we received such a great welcome, especially from Karin's mum.

Afterwards we took a look round Karin's childhood home. It was lovely and we stopped for a drink and a 'perve' (Andy that is, I found out later!), and dinner (and more perving supposedly!). That evening Andy met up with Ori and went for a drink and I stayed in the hotel and watched 'Almost famous', which is a great film. On my first viewing I wasn't so keen but it was definitely worth a second watch. When Andy came in we pretty much fell asleep immediately!

No comments: