Thursday 21 January 2010

Skagen 29th June 2009

Last night we found a camping spot at Lake Skagen, half way to Gothenburg. The chap who let us in was really very friendly and it was only going to cost us 10E for the night! We were all for a midnight dip in the lake as the man informed us the water was a warm 21 degrees! Friendly he was but he did tell some porkie pies because that lake was just a little bit nippier than 21 degrees!

We setup camp and once again using ourselves as human spirit levels decided which end of the tent to put our heads, a little ritual we had become accustomed to! It really is amazing that we are yet to stay in a camping ground with flat ground!

In the morning we decided to go for a run, well Andy decided the night before, I confirmed my attendance at the last minute! I was pretty impressed with myself and Kate Perry (I have to give her credit as she got me through the last 2 km) we managed a 3 km run. It's funny how the sound of music in your ears can drown out the little voice inside you crying out in pain! Considering I was totally up for the 1km run, but knew that Andy would give me that look, and I would know he was thinking that 1km run is literally like pivoting on the spot, (hey who's complaining?) I was proud of my achievement! Anyhow I made it back to camp albeit a sweaty red faced mess . As soon as I got back, I had my tweezers in hand and was scanning for ticks. Karin had told us about Sweden's infestation of ticks that can do all manner of nasty things to you and give you some 3 word acronym disease I can't remember but Andy probably will! So I set about like inspector Morse, and after hurting myself trying to pull off a few freckles, I did indeed found 3 little buggers on me. One of which was just about clamping in. So let it be known I cheated death by tick in Skagen. I had to keep them to show Andy as I knew he would never have believed me. It is lucky that Andy is such a sweaty guy, because it must have been like a wet and wild park for the ticks, as after a 12km run he'd not one on him!

Skagen was also our laundromat stop. We washed almost everything we'd brought that was bundled into our laundry bag. Thank God the sun was ridiculously hot as it didn't take long for everything to dry and for us to be on our way once again. To Gothenburg.

No comments: